gravatar for Pete Bekisz

Board of Trustees Scholarship Profile: Megan McGowan

Written on November 13th, 2009 at 09:33 am by Pete Bekisz.

MeganMcGowan

A talented student and athlete, Megan McGowan had plenty of choices coming out of Batavia High School.

In addition to Keuka, she looked at Gannon, Scranton, D’Youville, Misercordia, St. Francis University, and Ithaca College. Three factors led her to choose Keuka: the Board of Trustees Scholarship, the occupational therapy program, and the chance to make an immediate impact on the tennis team.

“I was impressed by Keuka’s OT program and the overall atmosphere at the College,” said McGowan. “I also believed I had a good chance to play on the tennis team as a freshman.”

Not only did McGowan play her first year, she earned All-North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) first team honors in doubles and was a second team selection in singles.

She followed that up the following season by being named conference Player of the Year, earning All-NEAC first team honors in singles and doubles, and leading the Storm to its first NCAA Division III Tournament appearance.

In addition to establishing herself as the top women’s tennis player at Keuka and in the NEAC, Gowan has served as a tutor and student ambassador. And let’s not forgot her freshman year Field Period in China.

All in all, it’s been a full—and successful— two years at Keuka College for McGowan, who will graduate from Keuka with two degrees in OT: a bachelor’s in 2011 and a master’s the following year. And after that?

“I still have the travel bug and I’m thinking about going into the Peace Corps,” she explained.

McGowan’s ultimate career goal is “to work in a rehabilitation setting.” Her sophomore year Field Periods helped her decide what kind of clients she would like to serve.

“In OT, we are required to conduct two, sophomore year Field Periods,” she explained. “I thought I wanted to work with kids, so I worked at an elementary school for two weeks. The other two weeks I spent at a nursing home and I discovered that I liked working with adults more.”

McGowan recalls the satisfaction she received from “helping comfort a woman who was very upset.

“That was one of the things I read about in a textbook but had the opportunity to actually do at my Field Period [site].”